Formatting Documents in APA Style
- Font is 12 point Times New Roman (8.03).
- Margins are set at 1 inch (2.54cm) (8.03).
- Line spacing is double throughout the entire document
with pages numbered in sequence, starting with the title page (8.03).
- Punctuation spacing is two spaces after each punctuation
mark ending a sentence, and one space after all other punctuation (4.01,
- Title page is a separate page and includes the header,
article title, author’s name and date (8.03).*
- Headers appear at the top of each page and include
the author’s last name and page number.*
- All pages, beginning with the title page, should
be numbered consecutively (8.03).
- Heading levels accurately reflect the organization
of the paper and are used consistently throughout the paper (3.02-3.03).
- Paragraphs contain at least three sentences but are
not longer than one page (3.08). Indent the first line of each paragraph
- Abbreviations are written as entire words or phrases
the first time they are used with the abbreviation following in parentheses.
Use the abbreviated form subsequently, unless it is used at the beginning
of a sentence (4.22-4.23).
- Quotations under 40 words are surrounded by quotation
marks and include page or paragraph numbers in the in-text citation.
Quotations of 40 or more words are formatted in a freestanding block
of text with no quotation marks (4.08, 6.03, 6.05).
- Figures, tables, appendicies and other document elements
should be numbered consecutively with Arabic numerals (1,2,3) in the
order in which they are mentioned (5.05, 5.30).
- Tables are all referred to in the text and every
table column includes a heading (5.13, 5.19).
- Appendices are on separate pages, with only one table
or figure per page (8.03).